Are you positive that your home is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning now that the cold months are starting? It pays to be extra cautious about this silent killer that might be lurking in your home. To ensure the safety of your household, consider these CO poisoning prevention tips from the professionals:
- Home appliances like boilers, heating systems, and cookers produce carbon monoxide as a by-product of the operation. It is important that only qualified and licensed technicians should install these appliances to ensure the safety of your home.
- Schedule a regular maintenance service for your chimneys, flues, and heating appliances. The service includes cleaning, fixing cracks, and securing the proper operation of your devices which is crucial in keeping CO gas out.
- Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, so there is no way for you to detect its presence with your keen senses. That is why it is important that you install a carbon monoxide detector which will notify you if a large concentration of CO gas is present in your home. Also, be sure to replace the batteries regularly.
- Your home’s ventilation system plays a crucial role in keeping your place safe from CO gas. Be sure to inspect and clean it regularly to ensure that there are no blockages hindering the proper flow of air.
- Do not use gas-powered equipment inside your home. Do not try to use oven and gas ranges as an additional source of heat for your household.
- Do not run your car in the garage that is attached to your home. Be sure to check your car’s exhaust every year as part of its maintenance service.
- Do not use gas and charcoal burning appliances such as generators, camp stove and charcoal grill inside your home. Maintain at least 20 feet distance from the nearest window or door to prevent the by-products from getting inside.
What To Do If You Suspect A Carbon Monoxide Leak?
If you heard the sound of your carbon monoxide alarm, immediately open the windows and doors to provide additional ventilation. Move out of your property and do not go back unless the emergency service providers advised you to do so. Seek medical help right away.
CO poisoning is preventable through professional evaluation and diagnosis! Prudhom Heating and Air Conditioning can help you enjoy the long cold months free from any health threats caused by CO gas exposure. Call us today!